History of Edmonds, Washington
The community that became the City of Edmonds grew out of a homestead and logging operation started by George Brackett in 1876. Incorporated in 1890, the original townsite is now occupied primarily by the downtown and adjacent residential areas. The Great Northern Railroad reached the town in 1891 and for many years provided access for goods and passenger travel. Although fires destroyed many of the waterfront mills, shingle production continued to be the primary industry in the city into the 1940s. Ferry service to Kingston began in 1923 when a ferry terminal was built near the location of the existing ferry dock. The present ferry terminal was built in the early 1950s after acquisition of the ferry system by the State of Washington.
The city continued to grow during the 1940s and 50s, resulting in a more active role of the municipality in providing water, sewer and streets for residential and commercial expansion. The Port district was formed in 1948 and began waterfront improvements. Completion of Interstate 5 and increased growth in the Puget Sound region led to a gradual change in the character of the city with more emphasis on residential development and a decline in the retail importance of the downtown.